Our experienced Middle School teachers know the needs of individual students due to deliberate structures limiting our class sizes to 18. In our school, individual interests and questions are encouraged and incorporated into daily studies.
Our 5th to 8th Grade students take nine classes on a rotating block schedule: Spanish, Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies, Physical Education, Coding/Technology, Makerspace, and Engineering/Economics.
Some of our benefits to consider:
- Low teacher-to-student ratio (1:18)
- Students routinely exceed state and national performance standards
- Cross-grade curriculum focused on career exploration in STEM — Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics – using a collaborative and interdisciplinary approach to help students experience real-world applications
- Student preparation to meet the challenges of the 21st century with well-developed critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Student participation in four diverse electives each Wednesday, ranging from House Council, where a student-led group plans and implements school activities, to Canva-based Digital Scrapbooking, where students learn about storytelling through pictures, writing, and digital creations
- Students meet in a cross-grade advisory for their house (Kaiser, Ershig, Hess & Ferlin)
- Afternoon study hall for students to complete assignments and check-in with teachers
- Overnight field trips at each grade level to complement academic programs
- School-supplied MacBook Air for 8th grade students (individual Chromebooks for 5-7th Grade at-school use)
- Leadership development that encourages cross-grade mentorship and support
- Chess Club, Math Team, Young Writers Workshop, Whatcom County Science and Engineering Fair, and Business Fair
- Team Athletics: Cross-Country, Volleyball, Basketball, and Track & Field (6th through 8th Grade)
- Optional Ski Days in February
- Makerspace (Science – Makerspace Lab, Robotics, Box Car), and this year the capstone for 8th Graders is a Box Car STEM project
- Our 8th Grade students often leave our program and many are ready to start Spanish 2
Middle School is critical in helping students build time management skills and feel more prepared to take Advanced Placement (AP) classes in High School. Be sure to come to one of our Middle School Preview Days on Thursday,
Don’t get stuck on the wait list – be sure to start the admission process early!